Tuesday, August 13, 2013

V/H/S/2: An Unexpected Let Down

I really enjoy horror anthologies, I've become increasingly fond of the found footage genre, and we currently live in a world were sequels are generally expected to be just as good as the original, which are all reasons why I was extremely disappointed by V/H/S/2. I saw the first one after my sister suggested it to me, and really enjoyed each of the shorts, even the weakest one (Ti West's Second Honeymoon) was pretty good in comparison to pretty much everything V/H/S/2 has to offer. Let's take a look at each of the segments.

V/H/S/2 Tape 47
This is the wrap around segment that ties all the others together. Personally I found it very uninteresting. The original movie's wrap around hinted at something larger and spooky going on, but this was basically just two people sitting around watching some VHS they found in a spooky house. That's not to say that that spooky stuff wasn't probably happening in Tape 47, it was just so uneventful that I didn't even notice.

V/H/S/2 Clinical Trials
Some guy ge's an experimental eye replacement that, for whatever reason, includes a camera in his eye. It turns out that people who receive these experimental implants can see ghosts through them. He meets a girl who receives a hearing aid implant that allows her to hear ghosts. Some jump scares, but all in all bland. It's "quick, if we have sex the ghost will go away" scene just highlighted how generic it was.

V/H/S/2 A Ride In The Park

In my opinion, the only one worth watching. A guy riding his bike with a camera attached to his helmet gets turned into a zombie. From here we get a zombie's eye view of a zombie outbreak that cumulates at a kid's birthday party. It's short enough and goofy enough to be entertaining. Unfortunately the end is kind of weak. If you had a problem with running zombies or smart zombies of movies past, you're probably going to take issue with suicidal zombies.

V/H/S/2 Safe Haven
This is the one that got people talking, apparently. A documentary crew interviews a doomsday cult. It's a bit creepy and thrilling at times, but is unfortunately ruined towards the end by a really awful looking monster. I personally found it overly long, maybe I was just really uninterested in it but long stretches of it were just people shooting themselves while sirens were going off.

V/H/S/2 Slumber Party Alien Abduction
Exactly what the title sounds like, a bunch of kids are goofing off with a camera at a slumber party when they get abducted by aliens. Just generally pretty weak and not nearly as fun and goofy as it thought it was being. The kids in this segment were all douchebags, and not in the typical "omg I can't wait for them to all just die!" way that horror movies are known for, but in a way that made me just wish I wasn't watching a movie with them in it. Personally, upset dog noises really make me upset and this made the end of this particular short difficult for me to pay attention to, but that didn't really effect my opinion of it because I thought it really went down hill before that.

All in all, I found this to be a pretty lackluster anthology, with no real standout shorts. Each one of these feels like it could be the weakest story in a better anthology. What I find most unfortunate about this is that I feel like the found footage genre could really benefit from some solid anthologies as the format seems to do best when its short and sweet

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...